Friday, August 6, 2010

Project 2: PEOPLE

Project two is based around the exploration of portrait photography or capturing a sense of people without people existing in the frame.

My first response to this project is how could I capture a sense of people without people actually being in the photo?? What is an anti-portrait? The first images that popped into my head was from the film "The Ring", specifically from the curse tape. They are shown below along with a link to the video clip.



The Ring: The Curse Tape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkVlC2WgEwc
Director: Gore Verbinski

The first image was very vivid in my mind after I read the brief. I like it because it gives off a sense there is life within this shot without the shot being directly on the person, instead a reflection. The way the mirror crops the person reminds me of typical Victorian portraits.

I'm not a big fan of people photography purely because I think people act differently when they know they're being photographed. It seems more logical to test the second option of trying to capture a sense of people instead. This seems somewhat difficult to grasp so I will brainstorm some ideas on how to do this and what things are exactly associated with people.

Things I think would create a sense of people:
* Emotions and expressions
* Body language
* Body actions
* Importance or power/authority - based on low angle shot of person
* Sense of family
* Hand held mirrors/anything hand held?
* Reflection
* Statues

It is important to keep in mind that this project is based on medium shots so the exploration of the medium shot is crucial and what its potentials are.

No comments:

Post a Comment