Saturday, July 31, 2010

Project 1: PLACE - statement of intent

My statement of intent needs much refining so in this post I will endeavour to be decisive about my narrative.

The concept has been shifted a lot throughout this project and through the process of photographing. To begin with I thought about photographing the place of the playground from a child's point of view but decided that was too straight forward and cliché. Next I began to think about the wider context as this project was focusing on the sense of place and long shots. It was important for me to convey the place of a suburb because it was where I grew up, so the concept moved from the perspective of a child to the idea of the wider context being a metaphor for a wider world beyond the playground (in the eyes of a child, this would be their "whole world"). Revisiting youth became the apparent concept. Further investigation lead me to think about this space as a war memorial, not only as a remembrance of the dead but also for the celebration of life. Because I see children play there happily everyday, it is logical to conclude this use of space is appropriate for the upbringing of new lives.

Hence, my overall intention of these photographs is to capture this space as a significant area within the suburb. It is significant because even though it is a memorial, it still brings about a happy environment based on the fact it is a children's playground. I have set this up in a story that tells the viewer that the placement of this park is important (central within the suburb), the approach to the entrance is distinctive and meaningful (central dominance), the playground is a happy, safe and inviting space and lastly, the portrayal of the exit is equally as important as the approach because the gain from experience is just as worthy as the knowledge of the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment