Thursday, July 29, 2010

Studio 3: Tutor feedback

After studio today, I gathered some useful information and have decided I need to do one more shoot to finalise my concept. I think the last two photos of my sequence are not as successful as the first two. Looking to some artist models and further research will enable me to collect those two last images.

Recommended for me are Robin Morrison (documentation) and Lars Tunbjork (industrial). Research more into recreational parks by the Wellington City Council and town planning will also help me in capturing the playground as a landscape or piece of land, a place.

Because the playground is a memorial park, I found Morrison's photographs more useful, especially his section on 'Memorials' in his book 'SENSE OF PLACE'.


In Morrison's memorial section, he mentions that there are many memorials around New Zealand dedicated for the remembrance of tens of thousands of men willingly fighting for the country. He goes on to say...

"Memorials are for the living - a reminder that it wasn't us who died for 'freedom and democracy'. There are no memorials to the equally brave who refused to fight. they also suffered for the nation of freedom." - Morrison, Robin

I noticed the way I had photographed the entry way to the park had resemblance to a few of my favourites from his book. These are below with the last one being my photo.




Memorials are for the living is a quote I could very much relate to for this project as my narrative suggests revisiting youth and the role of life. The playground is used everyday by many children and I can associate this with the celebration of the upbringing of a new life. Some may think the playground is awkwardly situated within a dense suburb but I think it is very practical. It's hard for me to find a good time when the sun is out and there are no children playing there. So in terms of this space being a memorial, I believe it is appropriate and gives a good sense of reality even though this was once a place of my youth.


Sources:

Morrison
http://www.robinmorrison.co.nz/prints/collection.asp?id=9

Sense of Place - Robin Morrison, Seto Publishing, 1984.

Tunbjork
In the end I didn't find Tunbjork very useful for my project but here are some of his works for future reference.
http://www.agencevu.com/photographers/photographer.php?id=80

No comments:

Post a Comment